Bariatric Surgery Pros and Cons: Choosing the Right Weight Loss Program
Obesity causes many health problems. Here we will discuss on ‘what is the right weight loss program?’ Many a time’s obese people try to reduce excess weight in conventional method, but somehow they don’t succeed. Now with bariatric surgery the chances of reducing weight have become manifold. It is also quite effective and safe way to lose weight quickly. People with body mass index above 40 are generally recommended to go through this surgery, if they already have tried other method and haven’t been succeeded.
There are different types of the bariatric surgeries and if you are recommended the surgery, the prime concern is which surgery you should opt for. Every types of surgery have its positive effects and negative effects. The most common types of surgeries are here.
Choosing the Best Bariatric Surgery for Weight Loss
- Gastric Banding: This surgery requires the least incision and simplest among all the types. In this type of surgery, an adjustable band is tied around the stomach and it requires regular follow-up visit to the doctor for readjustment of the band.
- Gastric Bypass: This surgery is very effective and the patient loses weight very quickly, but it takes long time to recover after the surgery.
- Sleeve Gastroctomy: This surgery is also quite effective and most of the stomach is reduced and only a narrow section of the stomach is left.
- Duodenal Switch: This surgery is much complicated. After surgery you will lack nutrients as bypasses most of your small intestine and how much you can eat is limited.
Important Questions you should ask yourself
To decide the right surgery for you, you should do some self-investigation and for that you ask yourself some of the questions such as
- You will feel loss of hunger. Are you ready for it?
- How much weight you want to lose? Would you be satisfied if less than the weight loss goal is achieved?
- How fast do you want to lose weight?
- Would you do regular follow-up?
- Are you ready to change your life style after the surgery and allocate the required time to maintain it?
- Are you getting the proper guidance and the advice for choosing the right option?
Make sure you have answers to all these questions and think for it carefully. Write down the answers and go through it. You also think about
- The risk factor involved with the surgery.
- Know about the short time complications of the surgery.
- Know about the long-time effects and complications of the surgery.
- Get information about short time weight loss and complications of the surgery.
Discuss with the doctors
Once you have worked out the things from your side, talk to your doctor. When you talk to a doctor, don’t forget to consider following points.
- If you have any obesity related medical problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep disorderetc., and then talk about it.
- Talk about your weight loss goal.
- Discuss about your medical history. Your medical history will help the doctor decide what type of the surgery you can opt for.
- Discuss about how much follow-up time you will have after the surgery. Sometimes one needs to take up another bariatric surgery after few months or a year.
Keep in mind the above mentioned factors, take right decision, go for the surgery, follow up well and enjoy healthy life
More Related Queries:
- Best bariatric surgery for weight loss/ pre op diet/ pros and cons/ sleeve
- Choosing the Right Weight Loss Program